Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My morning commute ...

This is our weekday morning routine. Walk the 50 yards to work. Then I get a rawhide chewie, and then sleep while Mom works. I tried to explain to Cub that he should just relax. He'll get the hang of it eventually.



I am fortunate to have a morning commute of about 50 yards. I am a sailmaker, and anyone who spends much time in sail lofts knows that most of them have cats, or dogs, or both. I have been bringing my dogs to work with me since 1995. I have very occasionally encountered customers, or sailing industry people, who don't understand how normal this is, and consider it "unprofessional" or complain about dog hair in the stitching. It's far more likely that customers come to the loft just to visit my dogs.

I do try to keep dogs off the loft floor (the working surface). They do not know when their paws are clean and when they are not. Cub would not take "no" for an answer. He was determined to stick to me like glue, so I had to tether him to keep him off the floor. I do most of my work in a "sewing pit" which is a hole in the floor. The sewing machine sits level with the floor so that the entire floor becomes my table.

Emma knows the routine. I work and she sleeps. Later when she gets bored, she comes to me and asks me to take her over to play with her pal, Buffy. Once Cub seemed secure in feeling that I was not going to sneak off without him, he settled down and napped while I sewed.

Kathy, Emma's 2lggd mom

No comments: